Sunday, August 7, 2011

Quito!

Well, we have made it to Quito! Let´s start at the beginning....

When the alarm went off at 6am yesterday morning, Jeremiah and I were already tired. We aren´t the best at early rising. But we got things rolling and made our way to meet Miguel. We all got to Jose and Rosa's temporary home and they looked great. Rosa was worrying that she didn't have a dress to wear, but we reassured her that she looked wonderful. The day before, Jacinto gave them both haircuts and they had clearly picked out the best clothes they owned to make the trip.

We had to wait for about an hour for the bus, which was a little stressful. As we waited, we found out where some of their kids live... in the house ACROSS THE STREET! Knowing what to say here is difficult, because it is not our place to judge anyone. But their clear and complete disinterest in their family was very upsetting. Seeing them, and therefore being able to better understand the family dynamics has made us have to reconsider a lot, including whether or not to buy property, as I mentioned in the earlier post. At first we thought we would build the home on a free piece of land, but it turns out that land might be right next to these sons and we now think that placing Rosa and Jose more in the center of Tabuga, with neighbors to watch out for them, might be necessary.

Essentially one of them, looking very rough, walked right past his mother, not even looking at her, despite her attempts to get his attention. After the disturbing non-interaction with the sons, we finally caught a bus. That's right about when our angels started showing up. In a country full of crazy bus drivers and no willingness to wait for anyone, we got onto the bus with the kindest operators. The day before, the driver wouldn't even wait to go until Jose was seated, but today no one rushed us, and instead everyone helped. When we got to Pedernales, Jacinto, the son who accompanied us to the clinic, was there waiting to great us. He hugged his parents and they were clearly really happy he was there. He took them to the bank to get their monthly bono of $35, which was great timing because they have a little of their own cash for the trip... not that we want them to pay for anything, but I think it is empowering to not have to ask for small change when they want a snack, etc... We discussed the plans with Jacinto and he and Miguel exchanged numbers so we could keep in touch, and then we hoped on the bus to Quito.

Along the way, Jeremiah, Miguel, and I were able to get a little rest, which was such a blessing. But, when we weren´t sleeping, we caught glimpses of Jose and Rosa having fun buying snacks from the vendors that hop on and off the buses. The candies they sell on the bus are usually 10 or 25 cents, but they were just having so much fun being able to have a treat! Turns out, Jose has a great smile. We hadn´t seen him smile until lunch the day before, when he started laughing at how clumsily I was helping him with his fish. Hearing that laugh and seeing his smile has been one of the most rewarding parts of the journey so far.

After 6 hours, we arrived in the Quito bus terminal. During the bus trip, Jeremiah and I were trying to decide which hospital to go to. The original plan was to go to a public hospital, but Jeremiah´s brother´s friend told us about a faith based private hospital here in Quito that gives free services to the poor on Saturdays so we decided to check it out.

We hoped off the bus and got the bags. Jose was worried about the bags and asked to feel one to make sure we had indeed retrieved them. Once he felt them, we were ready to go. So, we walked out to the taxi, and in the sea of crazy taxi drivers, an older driver approached us and asked where we needed to go. After listening, he helped lift Jose into the car and we were off.

Upon arriving at the hospital, our confidence in free service was a little shaken by the receptionist. Once Jose was seen by a nurse, she was shocked at the leg, but said that it wasn´t possible to fix. She said it was too expensive. But finally Miguel was able to get into the room and he and Jeremiah worked hard to explain their entire situation. Hearing that they were homeless and that only one son was making ANY effort to help astounded them. You see, homelessness in Ecuador is unheard of. No matter what someone´s situation is, family always takes you in. The doctor assured us that even in the context of all of the tragedy he sees, their situation is a true anomaly. After seeing how Jose gets around, in that when he has to walk, he actually steps on the broken leg, he said that the surgery is essential for his safety. The entire time all of this was going on, Jacinto was checking in, and I am starting to feel his love for his parents more and more. I am so thankful for that.


Jeremiah and I were afraid that they would assume that they didn´t need to help financially because we are gringos, but boy were we wrong. The hospital has put them up in a cozy little room, with tons of blankets, hot water, and bathroom.They are giving them 3 meals a day, at 0 cost! At 7am, noon and 6pm. Rosa walks to the cafeteria and gets their food. We introduced her to all the guards along the 4 minute walk from the room to the cafeteria, and they are happy to help if she gets lost or anything. They will stay there at least until Monday. After getting all of this sorted out, we said our goodbyes for the night.

For the first time, I felt ready to hug Jose. He was all cozy in his bed, and I hugged him the same way I hug my grandfather, Bill, when I say goodnight to him. I just couldn´t let go. Tears started rolling down my face and he told me he was happy and that everything was OK. While that was going on, Rosa told Jeremiah that he is so happy that he wants to cry, but that he doesn´t want to cry in front of me. Tears are flowing just as I retype the story. It was one of the most special hugs of my life. And really made me miss my granddad. Thank you Nana and Bill for all of your support with this! It is lessons from people like you two that have led me to take on this endeavor! I love you more than you will ever know and cant wait to see you in September.

Anyways, on Monday, we have an appointment with the hospital´s social worker. The doctor said that if we can build them a case, the surgery will be free. If not, then he said he will set up a meeting with the director of the hospital. Jeremiah´s eyes filled with tears when he began to translate to me what all had happened. At first, all he could say was, ¨these people are amazing and they are going to help.

So, Jeremiah and Miguel have a lot of studying to do. Jeremiah has had his nose in his dictionary all week and I know he will do great. However, because Jose is currently considered 75% disabled, there is a good chance that we will have to pay for 25% of the surgery. That is why we have including the additional $600 in our fundraising goal.

After leaving, a bad headache set on and before I knew it, I had what I thought was a migraine. Jeremiah helped me get comfortable and then went on a quest for food, as we thought maybe that would help. Although I missed him while he was gone, it was my first time alone with God since all this has happened. I started talking with him and weeping. The tears and prayers seemed to release all the pressure in my head that was causing the headache! I started saying the Prayers for the People, but with my own modified requests. Later today, I hope to post the prayer so that anyone interested can join me in sending these intentions to the divine.

Also, those who know me already know how I feel about this, but everyone, please take my spiritual comments with whatever interpretation you prefer. This experience isn´t tied to any one faith, but just a recognition for hope and justice. If the term God makes you feel uncomfortable, then try swapping it with whatever words you believe in, whether that is the Universe, hope, or even luck.

So, back to the story. We are so thankful for how smoothly yesterday went and are getting ready for tomorrow. Because I am the least helpful when it comes to Spanish, I will be working primarily on the fundraising and Jeremiah and Miguel handle the social worker etc.

We are about to go visit Jose and Rosa, so I don´t have much more time. Jeremiah is out trying to track down a small radio they can listen to in their room and we are going to deliver that, some warm socks... it is cold in Quito!... and maybe some other small treats.

Later today, I will post an update and PHOTOS!

much love,
allison

ps If anyone is having trouble with the link to donate, please email me, ascherbe@gmail.com. We are having a bit of difficulty with forwards deactivating the link but are working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment